Never had a CitizenCard before? You will need to provide a suitable referee, who needs to confirm your identity.
There are two types of referee we accept - Route 1 and Route 2.
A Route 1 referee countersigns a copy of an official document stating your name and DoB (also called ID).
A Route 2 referee confirms your details against official records.
Whether you choose a Route 1 or Route 2 referee you will need to supply countersigned by them a picture of you.
AND don’t forget your chosen referee must:
- be over 25 and in full time employment
- be contactable at their registered business address on their landline number - we will definitely call them!
and they must not:
- be related to you by birth or marriage nor live with you.
- be self-employed, sole traders or those working from home
Route 1 referee - countersigns a copy of your ID
ROUTE 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of your ID as being true to the original. A full list of permitted Route 1 referees can be found here.
If the referee knows you personally the countersigned ID can be one of the following:
- birth certificate
- certified copy of a birth certificate
- NHS Medical Card
- CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
- European Health Insurance Card.
The following photographic ID can be used whether the referee knows you or not:
- photo driving licence
- EU National ID Card
- Home Office approved photo ID
- PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram)
Just take your ID to your referee, ask them to countersign a copy of it and post it to us with your application.
Oh and if you changed your name since birth please provide a copy of marriage certificate or change of name deed countersigned by your referee.
Route 2 referee - confirms your details against official records
Don’t have any ID? Don’t worry!
ROUTE 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work. We only accept the following for the Route 2 process:
- Your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at Your GP / Dental Surgery
- Your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at Your School / College / University
(do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
- Your Social Worker
- Your Certified Solicitor
- A Bank / Building Society staff member at Your branch
- Your Prison or Probation Officer