Never had a CitizenCard photo ID before? You will need to provide a suitable referee, who needs to confirm your identity.
There are two types of referees we accept - Route 1 and Route 2.
A Route 1 referee countersigns a copy of an official document confirming your identity e.g. a birth certificate or passport (full list of official documents we accept can be found below).
A Route 2 referee confirms your details against official records held at their place of work.
Your chosen referee must:
- be over 25 and in full time employment
- be contactable at their registered business address on their landline number (a non-mobile phone) during office hours i.e. Mon-Fri, 9.00 - 17.00 – we will definitely call them!
- not be related to you by birth or marriage nor live with you
- not be self-employed, sole traders or those working from home/residential address.
Route 1 referee - countersigns a copy of an official document confirming your identity
ROUTE 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of an official document confirming your identity as being true to the original. It's the easiest route to choose as there is a wide selection of acceptable professions.
If the referee knows you personally the countersigned document confirming your identity can be one of the following:
- birth certificate
- certified copy of a birth certificate
- NHS Medical Card
- CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
- European Health Insurance Card.
The following photographic ID documents can be used whether the referee knows you or not:
- UK photo driving licence
- EU National ID Card
- Home Office approved photo ID
- PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram).
Route 2 referee - confirms your details against their official records
Don’t have any official documents confirming your identity?
ROUTE 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work. We only accept the following referees for the Route 2 process:
- your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at your GP / Dental Surgery
- your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at your School / College / University
(please ensure they are available during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
- your Social Worker
- your Certified Solicitor
- a Bank / Building Society staff member at your branch
- your Prison or Probation Officer
- your Jobcentre Plus work coach
- if you are employed with any of the above Route 2 referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
- if you are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records
Are you already a cardholder?