Never had a CitizenCard photo ID before? You will need to provide a suitable referee, who needs to confirm your identity.
There are two types of referees we accept - referees validating the original document(s) and referees confirming from official records.
A referee validating the original document(s) is a professional person that needs to see an official document(s) confirming your identity e.g. a birth certificate or passport and validate it to confirm your identity.
A referee confirming from official records is a professional person that confirms your details against official records held at their place of work.
We will guide you to select an appropriate referee after you make a payment for your application.
Your chosen referee must:
- be in work
- agree to be contacted at their business address via email and on their landline number (a non-mobile phone) during office hours i.e. Mon-Fri, 9.00 - 17.00 – we will definitely contact them!
- have no family or personal relationship with you (including that of guardian or foster carer) nor live with you
- be aware of this application and the reference they are providing
- complete the Digital Referee Declaration Form after you finish uploading your file(s) online.
How to apply for a New (first-time) CitizenCard?
- 1. Start your online application by using "Start a New application for a CitizenCard" button below.
- 2. "Create Your Account" online (complete a registration form and activate your account) or "Log in" to your CitizenCard online account if you already have one.
- 3. Use "Apply for a new CitizenCard" button, complete a new, online application for a CitizenCard and make a payment.
- 4. "Choose your referee", a professional person that will confirm your identity
- 5. Upload your photo and, if needed, any documents required.
- 6. Confirm you have finished uploading your file(s).
- 7. Your referee confirms your identity.
- 8. We post your photo ID card to you after the application is verified and your identity checked.
- Standard Application
- Costs £15 and takes 21 days. Card posted by Royal Mail 2nd class post
- Urgent Application
- Costs £30 and takes 1-2 working days. Card posted by Special Delivery guaranteed Next Day by 1pm
Please note for Urgent applications all required information must be received by 12pm for the application process to start that day.
Are you already a cardholder?