ID card Replacement

CitizenCards are available in 3 age categories: '18+' for adults, '16-17' for young people over 16 and 'Under 16' for children. We offer two replacement types for all age categories - in addition to the CitizenCard ID we also offer the Yoti CitizenCard, which can be used to create your identity on the free Yoti app. This means you'll have a physical ID card and the ability to create ID on your mobile. You can select which type of card you require during the paperless online application process.

If we issued you with a CitizenCard it remains our legal property. You have the right, as the lawful cardholder, to use the ID card for the purpose of proving age and identity in the UK. You must at all times keep the card safe and minimise the possibility of it being lost, stolen or damaged. If your card is mislaid you should endeavour to find it.

Try to recall when your CitizenCard was issued or contact us for this information. You can only replace your CitizenCard if your ID card has been issued after October 2009.

You can apply for a replacement CitizenCard if:

  • you lost your CitizenCard
  • your CitizenCard is damaged
  • you wish to obtain a higher age band UK photo ID, because you turned 16 or 18
  • your appearance has changed
  • your CitizenCard has expired (CitizenCards issued before 7th January 2021 do not expire; all CitizenCards printed from 7th January 2021 onwards expire 3 years after issuing)
  • your name has legally changed (a Marriage Certificate, Court Order or Change of Name Deed will be required)
  • you would like to get a Yoti CitizenCard

Start Replacement ID card application

Standard Application
Costs £12 and takes 21 days. Card posted by Royal Mail 2nd class post.
Urgent Application
Costs £25 and takes 1-2 working days. Card posted by Royal Mail Tracked 24 (next day delivery).

If your card was issued before October 2009 then a replacement card cannot be issued and you have to submit a fresh application online.

If you wish to apply for a higher age band before you actually reach the age, for example if you are 17 but wish to apply for an 18+ UK ID card, you must confirm this either:

  • by selecting the required age band when you apply online
  • or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. after you pay for your application and stating that you wish to receive a card in the next age band together with your name and address.

The card in this case will be issued only on the date or after your actual birthday. If we are not informed about the age band you wish to use, we will produce a card which displays the age band applicable to you at the time of despatch.

Share This

Important Points For Online Applicants

  • If you need your card right away, make an Urgent application using our paperless online application system.
  • Make sure you follow our photo requirements when you upload your photo.
  • If you don't have a valid Passport (UK or International), Photo Driving Licence (UK or European) or European National ID Card, you need a referee - a professional person validating original document(s) or confirming your details from official records.
  • If applicable, check whether your referee completed the Digital Referee Declaration Form to submit their work details to us.
  • If applicable, make sure that your referee can be contacted by phone and email during office hours at their place of work.


The PASS hologram on each CitizenCard is endorsed by the Home Office, Police, SIA and retailers.

Proof of Age Standards SchemeNational Police Chiefs' Council
Chartered Trading Standards InstituteSecurity Industry Authority

Contact us:

  • Address:
    7 Prescott Place
    SW4 6BS
  • Email:
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Follow us:

Recent Tweets: