Choose Referee

Never had a CitizenCard before? You will need to provide a suitable referee, who needs to confirm your identity.

There are two types of referee we accept - Route 1 and Route 2.

A Route 1 referee countersigns a copy of an official document stating your name and DoB (also called ID).
A Route 2 referee confirms your details against official records. 

Whether you choose a Route 1 or Route 2 referee you will need to supply countersigned by them a picture of you.

AND don’t forget your chosen referee must:

  • be over 25 and in full time employment
  • be contactable at their registered business address on their landline number during office hours i.e. Mon-Fri, 9.00 – 17.00 - we will definitely call them!

and they must not:

  • be related to you by birth or marriage nor live with you.
  • be self-employed, sole traders or those working from home/residential address

Route 1 referee - countersigns a copy of your ID

ROUTE 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of your ID as being true to the original. A full list of permitted Route 1 referees can be found here. 

If the referee knows you personally the countersigned ID can be one of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • certified copy of a birth certificate
  • NHS Medical Card
  • CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
  • European Health Insurance Card.

The following photographic ID can be used whether the referee knows you or not:

  • passport 
  • photo driving licence
  • EU National ID Card
  • Home Office approved photo ID
  • PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram)

Just take your ID to your referee, ask them to countersign a copy of it and post it to us with your application.

Oh and if you changed your name since birth please provide a copy of marriage certificate or change of name deed countersigned by your referee.

Apply using Route 1


Route 2 referee - confirms your details against official records

Don’t have any ID? Don’t worry!

ROUTE 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work. We only accept the following for the Route 2 process:

  • Your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at Your GP / Dental Surgery
  • Your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at Your School / College / University
    (do not use during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
  • Your Social Worker
  • Your Certified Solicitor
  • A Bank / Building Society staff member at Your branch
  • Your Prison or Probation Officer
  • If you are employed with any of the above Route 2 referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
  • If you are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records


 Apply using Route 2


Important Points For Applicants

  • If you need your card right away, make an Urgent application and post it by Special Delivery.
  • Check whether your referee is acceptable as Route 1 or a Route 2 professional person.
  • Check whether your referee countersigned your form, photos and (if applicable) a copy of your ID.
  • Make sure that your referee can be contacted by phone during office hours at their place of work.


The PASS hologram on each CitizenCard is endorsed by the Home Office, Police, SIA and retailers.

Proof of Age Standards SchemeNational Police Chiefs' Council
Chartered Trading Standards InstituteSecurity Industry Authority

Contact us:

  • Address:
    36 Bromells Road
    SW4 0BG
  • Email:
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Follow us:

Recent Tweets: