Route 1 referees are professionals, who can countersign a copy of an official document confirming your identity as being true to the original.
Your chosen referee needs to countersign your passport quality photograph, your application and other documentation listed below.
If the referee knows you personally the countersigned document confirming your identity can be one of the following:
- birth certificate
- certified copy of a birth certificate
- NHS Medical Card
- CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
- European Health Insurance Card.
The following photographic ID can be used whether the referee knows you or not:
- UK photo driving licence
- EU National ID Card
- Home Office approved photo ID
- PASS card (bearing the PASS hologram).
You must show an original document confirming your identity to your referee, ask them to countersign a photocopy of it and post it to us together with your CitizenCard application. Please do not send original documents.
If you changed your name since birth and the document shows your old name, please show the original marriage certificate(s) or change of name deed(s) to your referee, ask them to countersign the photocopies and then send them to us together with the above.
Any person in the permitted list below over 25 and in full time employment can act as a Route 1 referee provided we can contact them on their landline number (a non-mobile phone) at their place of work during office hours at a registered business address.
Referees must not be related to the applicant by birth or marriage neither should they be in a personal relationship together nor live at the same address. They must also not be self employed or work from home/residential address.
Permitted list of referees for the Route 1 process:
- Airline Pilot
- Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
- Bank / Building Society Official
- British Computer Society (BCS) - Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
- Chairman / Director of a Limited Company
- Commissioner of Oaths / Notary
- Councilor (County / Local)
- Civil Servant (permanent)
- Designated Premises Supervisor
- Director / Manager of a VAT registered Charity
- Director / Manager / Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
- Engineer (qualified to a Degree in Engineering)
- Estate Agent
- Financial Services Intermediary (e.g. stockbroker or insurance broker)
- Fire Service Official
- Funeral Director
- Immigration Adviser (regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner)
- Insurance Agent of a recognised Company (permanent)
- Justice of the Peace
- Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
- Local Government Officer
- Manager / Personnel Officer (of a Limited Company)
- Member of Parliament
- Merchant Navy Officer
- Minister of a recognised religion
- Nurse / Midwife (RGN and RMN)
- Officer of the armed services
- Person with honours (e.g. OBE MBE etc.)
- Personal License Holder (of recognised Company)
- Police Officer
- Post Office Official
- President / Secretary of a recognised Company
- Prison / Probation Officer
- Salvation Army Officer
- Social Worker
- Teacher / Lecturer (please ensure they are available during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
- Trade Union Senior Official
- Travel Agent (qualified)
- Valuer / Auctioneer