Route 2 referees are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work.
Use a Route 2 referee if you don't have an official document confirming your identity.
Your chosen referee needs to countersign your passport quality photograph and your application.
Any person in the permitted list below over 25 and in full time employment can act as a Route 2 referee provided we can contact them on their landline number (a non-mobile phone) at their place of work during office hours at a registered business address.
Referees must not be related to the applicant by birth or marriage neither should they be in a personal relationship together nor live at the same address. They must also not be self employed or work from home/residential address.
Permitted list of referees for the Route 2 process:
- your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at your GP / Dental Surgery
- your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator at your School / College / University
(please ensure they are available during academic holidays as they must be contactable at their place of work)
- your Social Worker
- your Certified Solicitor
- a Bank / Building Society staff member at your branch
- your Prison or Probation Officer
- your Jobcentre Plus work coach
- if you are employed with any of the above Route 2 referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
- if you are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records