Referees confirming from official records (also called Route 2) are professionals, who know you and can confirm your details against their official records held at their place of work.
Use a referee confirming from official records if you don't have an official document confirming your identity.
For an online application your chosen referee needs to complete a Digital Referee Declaration Form.
For a paper or printed application your chosen referee needs to countersign your passport quality photograph and your application.
Any person in the permitted list below who is currently employed can act as a referee confirming from official records provided we can contact them at work, via email and on their work telephone number, during office hours at a registered business address. We have to verify their business details which must be published/advertised in online professional business directories.
Referees must not be related to you or in a personal relationship with you (cannot be a guardian, foster carer, spouse, civil partner, fiancé, boyfriend/girlfriend) nor live with you.
Permitted list of referees confirming from official records:
- your Doctor / Dentist / Nurse / Administrator at your GP / Dental Surgery
- your Teacher / Tutor / Head of Year / Administrator / Careers Adviser at your School / College / University
(must be contactable at their place of work during academic holidays)
- your Social Worker
- your Certified Solicitor
- a Bank / Building Society staff member at your branch
- your Prison or Probation Officer
- your Jobcentre Plus work coach
- your Immigration Adviser registered at the Office of the Immigration Commissioner
- if you are employed with any of the above referees, they can verify your identity from their personnel records
- if you are employed by a Public Authority / Government, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records
- if you are employed by a Local Authority, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records
- if you are employed by a UK business that has more than 250 staff, your employer can verify your identity from their personnel records